Sunday, January 26, 2014

Corn Chowder

Back in November, I went on my first proper trip to the hills with friends since I moved to Delhi three years ago. Fuck more than three years now I come to think of it! Anyway, it was planned with The Writing Twins, and they brought friends with them. The six of us had a hysterically good time, ably assisted by the mascot and theme song, and have been planning a reunion hangout ever since then. We managed a crazy birthday party but haven't yet managed to do a six-of-us thing. So this dinner was planned, especially since three of them have never met The Balcony. But sadly people kept dropping out and it ended up being just three of us, all south Indian so I thought to myself I shall make sambar saadham. Only I woke up last night and had this...NEED to cook something warm and liquid and bland. And so I came up with corn chowder, grilled garlic chicken with mushroom bourgignon as sauce, mashed potatoes and butterscotch cake with caramel sauce.



So I began trawling my favourite sites for recipes and ended up going with Ree's recipe over at The Pioneer Woman Cooks. I did of course put a riff on it, but I'm very proud of myself for finally actually making stock from scratch, which basically involved putting drumsticks, carrot and potato peel, broccoli stems, some celery, green onion tips and real onions in a pot with water and salt and boiling the fuck out of it. I then scurried about gathering things and then went off on my own trip, and even managed to refrain from putting cheese in it.

2 t olive oil
1 red bell pepper, diced small
1 yellow bell pepper, diced small
2 ears of corn shucked or about 2 cups of kernels
1 medium onion, diced fine
4 T flour
2 cups stock, chicken, veg, beef whatever floats your boat
1 cup milk
1/4 cup cream (optional)
1/2 cup grated cheese (optional)
salt to taste

Saute the onion in the oil for a few minutes, then toss in the rest of the veggies, saute a bit, cover and leave on sim for 7-10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the stock up so it's simmering. Add the flour to the veggies and stir till coated well. Pour in the stock and mix nicely so no lumps happen. Add the milk and cream and boil for 5-10 minutes. Serve immediately. As a do ahead, you can get to the point where the veggies are done and then throw it together before you serve. This serves about 6 people.

No comments: