Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lemon pound cake with lemon glaze

A cousin whose birthday I missed was the perfect excuse for this. She inhaled the tres leches I had left over, and would emerge from her book blinking sleepily to say 'cake? I heard cake!' every time anyone said anything that rhymed with cake, and so, even though she wanted chocolate, I begged her to choose something else for me to make. She graciously allowed me to choose, with this as the result.



This cake is fabulous. Light, moist, tart, sweet, and mildly crunchy if the humidity doesn't make the frosting gooey, it goes so well with anything at all, and stays for ever in the fridge. Though I don't know, the second time I made it I took three fourths of the bundt off to friends, and it didn't last long enough for us to measure it's longevity!


The cake is from Deb, of course, and the frosting from my head. The frosting is quite tart too. You've previously seen this cake as the orange yoghurt cake I made in February. The recipe makes a FULL bundt, so I'd say halve it for a single loaf or a normal 9-inch layer.

3 C flour
4t baking powder
2C yoghurt
2C sugar
6 eggs
Zest from 4 lemons (zest them and then juice them, you're going to use the juice.)
1t vanilla
1C vegetable oil (sunflower)
1t salt.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk the yoghurt, sugar, eggs, zest, vanilla and oil till well combined. Whisk the dry into the wet mixture. When all nicely combined, bake at 180C for 1hr.

For the syrup:
Boil half the juice with 2T sugar and then brush onto cake about 10 min after it's out of the oven.

For the glaze:
Mix the other half of the juice with at least 1 cup of finely powdered sugar - caster, confectioner's, or just beat the crap out of it in the mixie before adding the juice. Add more sugar if you want it sweeter and stiffer. Pout over cooled cake and allow to set.


No comments: