Friday, February 18, 2011

Down to Earth

Looking at the cooking, and talking to people about it recently, I discovered that I had forgotten why I started this blog in the first place. It has become about perfect baking mostly, while it began as a repository for easy and satisfying recipes. To make up for that, I've got my most basic cake recipe here. It's a ratio that is based on eggs, and you can scale it up as much as you like. I promise you, it's yum. x is the number of eggs, so if its one egg then x=1, and you need 25 g butter, 50 g sugar etc.

x eggs
25x g butter
50x g sugar
50x g flour
x tsp baking powder
50x ml milk
0.5x tsp vanilla essence

Beat eggs, with whisk or beater. Add sugar. Beat till mixed, or arm hurts. Melt butter. Pour into egg-sugar mixture and beat till well combined. Add flour and milk alternately till its all mixed in and you can see little air bubbles forming. Beat in the baking powder. Alternatively, you can mix it into the flour. Bake in a greased and floured pan at 150C/300F for 40 min or so. Test with knife to see if it's done.

To make this into chocolate cake, substitute the 1/4th of the flour with cocoa powder.

Well before I began baking to recipes and the like, this was my standard, foolproof, failproof cake recipe. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Sue said...

That's really useful, thanks. Good to have you posting so much.

MinCat said...

aw! thanks! i have ten more psots queued but no time to proccess photos and write out proces!