Friday, January 29, 2010

Potato Mushroom Thingummy

I know, I know, I need a better name.

This morning I found a packet of mushrooms that had to be cooked. I also needed something for lunch. The only other vegetable (yes yes) in the house was potatoes. Much googling came up with lovely, drool-inducing things like potato mushroom gratin and so on, but they really were pushing the trying to eat healthy boundaries. Plus I simply didn't have the time before I left for work. So I invented this.



  • 1 largo potato (I sliced in rounds, but the maid diced the mushrooms so it was a strange mix. Just try and have them match)
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 1 package mushrooms, sliced or diced
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • salt to taste
Heat oil in deep skillet. Add onions and fry till translucent or whatever makes your OCD behave. Add potatoes, mushrooms, salt and basil. Toss fervently for a bit. You could also toss them together in a bowl before you add them, but I'm lazy so I didn't. Cover with lid and leave alone for about 10 minutes. After that check on it every so often, till the potatoes are cooked and the mushroom liquid has dried up.

Serve with bread for a quick lunch, or as a side, especially with eggs.

No comments: