Saturday, April 12, 2008

Pineapple Upside-down Cake

When I was a kid this was my FAVOURITE cake, which amazed the parents since I was also pathologically addicted to cream and icing. Hee. Imagine my joy when I grew up and invented a recipe!

Prep time: 20 min
Cooking time: 40 min with some watching

4 eggs
250g flour
150g butter, salted (well I like the salty touch, use unsalted if you like)
150ml milk
250g sugar
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp pineapple essence
1 tin pineapple slices, drained
2 tbs sugar and tichy bit of water
An electric beater
A steel baking dish, preferably round
1 flat dish larger than the bottom of the baking dish, with about 1 inch of water

Beat the eggs, however you like. I used to separate and whatnot, but I found it makes barely any difference. I stick the beater on high and whizz em till they get frothy. Beat in the 250g sugar. Melt the butter and pour it in. Beat some more. Add milk and essence. Beat. Add flour and baking powder. Beat. When little bubbles form as you beat, you may stop.

Put the 2tbs sugar and tichy bit of water in the steel baking dish and heat on high flame till it caramelises. Use the tongs and keep turning the dish about 2 inches above the fire. The caramel can get dark. Turn off fire and put baking dish into the dish with water, making sure first that the caramel is evenly spread about the bottom. Place pineapple slices in whatever pattern you like. Eat leftover pineapple :D Pour in batter and bake at 150 deg C. If this is a stupid tiny electric oven like mine, use it on the bottom setting until the cake rises to the top of the dish. Then put on the top but watch it! I just burnt mine. Basically keep checking on it and testing with knife to see if it's cooked.

Loosen sides with a knife and upturn on a serving dish. Voila! Caramelised pineapple slices on top of cake!

Serving suggestions: custard or vanilla ice cream. Also fabulous cold the next day.

No comments: